When compared to other fish, salmon has the highest level of omega-3 contents. Besides it is packed with vitamins and minerals that lower your chances of heart attack and cancer.
In a nutshell, salmon always comes at the top when it comes to the best foods for your health.
The following lines are dedicated to give you everything you need to know about salmon fish and some of the best salmon recipes for a meal of really complete wow!
Before we dive in deep into the details of the article, here is an overview to help you better navigate its content.
Let’s first have a look at some of the benefits of salmon.
Benefits of Salmon
1. Best Source Of Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Salmon is rich in long-chain Omega 3 fatty acids. Unlike other fats, your body cannot create omega-3 fats by itself, leaving diet as the only source. The good news is that you can get enough omega-3 fats from a diet with salmon to last you the entire day.
For adults, a daily intake of 300mg of omega-3 is considered sufficient but much less for young children.
The benefits of omega-3 cannot be overstated.
To begin with, omega-3 can improve the efficiency of your brain functions. Better yet, if you are experiencing a problem of recalling, a diet with salmon will refresh your memory. As a result, it is highly recommended for young children as well as the elderly.
Omega-3 also helps in bones and joints. Eating a meal with salmon on a regular basis can make your bones to be stronger as well as keeping chronic diseases at bay such as osteoporosis. Children are the greatest benefactors of omega-3 when their bones are gradually developing.
2. Lowers The Risk Of Heart Attack And Heart Diseases
Salmon is the best alternative to red meat which is known as a risk factor for heart diseases. And that is not enough, Salmon has omega-3 that enhances your blood cholesterol levels.
When you have low blood cholesterol, it means that your blood pressure too is normal as your heart would likely to be functioning well.
Eating salmon even gets more interesting as it can reduce the triglycerides levels in your body. Triglycerides are not such friendly molecules to your heart as they are the leading molecules responsible for blood clots.
When blood clots you are likely to have a heart attack. It, therefore, means that when you regularly fish, particularly salmon, you will significantly reduce the chances of a heart attack as well as stroke.
3. Strengthens Your Hair And Improves Your skin
Most women love long, strong, and shiny hair, and undoubtedly a smooth even skin. If you are wondering what could be the secret behind a smooth skin and strong hair, then look no further than a diet with salmon.
The omega-3 from salmon, together with protein, and vitamin D are vital elements for the development of your skin and hair.
A diet with salmon is known to protect the skin cells keeping them moisturized and well nourished. Omega-3 promotes the production of elastic fibers and collagen are the main building blocks of your hair and skin.
Other benefits of salmon include:
- Developing your muscles
- Enhance your eye health
- Protect your body from free radicals
Types Of Salmon
There are six types of salmon that are great to cook. They include chum, coho, pink, silver, and sockeye.
1. Chinook salmon
Chinook salmon are regarded by many as being tasty among the salmons.
Although they have high fat content, the fat is not harmful to your health. Subsequently, they have rich white to red flesh pack with the highly beneficial omega-3.
2. Coho salmon
Its flavor resembles that of Chinook salmon, but the red flesh color of Coho salmon distinguishes the two popular breeds.
Coho salmon has silver appearance thus commonly known as silvers. The meat is tender and much more delicate.
3. Pink salmon
If you are looking for salmon with low fat content, then it has to be pink salmon. They are the most common, in fact, nearly all canned salmon are pink salmon.
So next time when you are out shopping you can be certain to spot a canned pink salmon on shelves. Pink Salmons are also sold fresh, smoked, or frozen.
4. Sockeye salmon
Often called reds, sockeye salmon have bright red to orange flesh that is tasty.
As they move upstream to spawn they gradually change color from bright silver to a deep red color. They are delicious when taken together with veggies.
5. Salmo salar
Salmo salar is a highly nutritious fish whose origin is the Atlantic Ocean. The Salmo salar that are sold are certainly framed. These species have white delicious flesh.
How To Best Store Salmon?
You can either buy salmon in different forms. You can either buy it fresh or preserved.
Fresh salmon can be brought as a whole, steak, or in fillet forms. On the other hand frozen salmon is available in smoked, dried, frozen, or canned.
Just like any other sea plants, all salmon should be kept refrigerated after purchasing them. However, you will find that the temperature in your refrigerator is slightly warmer than the recommended temperature for storing salmon.
What should you do then?
Take a baking dish and fill with ice. After that, place your salmon buried in the ice and place them at the bottom of your refrigerator.
By doing this, your fish will remain fresh for at least four days if you had bought them freshly caught, or at least two days if had been caught a day or two before you purchased them.
How To Best Cook Salmon?
When buying salmon, whether whole or filet, choose one that has thick steak. Once you have your salmon, you can explore the different ways of cooking.
The best and the healthiest way to cook your salmon is by choosing a method that will keep it tender and moist.
You can make salmon stew, roast, or even grilled.
When grilling salmon, be on the lookout and keep on turning until it gets burned.
Burning of salmon or any other fish damages its essential nutrients. Even worse it creates free radicals that can be potentially harmful to your health.
You can enjoy salmon with other dishes or you can have it whole by itself. Whichever way you choose to enjoy your salmon, still it's one of the most delicious as well as nutritious diet.
Here are 9 salmon recipes that will ensure that you enjoy your salmon.
9 Of The Yummiest Salmon Recipes:
1. Steamed Soy Salmon
- 2 tablespoon of soy based sauce
- Sesame oil
- Pin-poned salmon, 4 x 150g
- 2 onions cut into strips
- Chopped ginger
- 200g of rice noodles
- Half teaspoon of caster
- XO sauce
- I crushed garlic
• Mix sesame oil and soy sauce and gently brush over salmon.
• Place the salmon in a roasting pan using a wire rack
• Sprinkle ginger, chilli, and half onion over salmon
• Add water to the pan to 1 cm high then cover with foil
• Bake for 15 minutes
• Cook rice noodles
• Mix the remaining sauce, garlic, and lime juice in a bowl
• Put the rice noodles in two bowls and dress with chilli, garlic, and ginger
• Serve while hot
2. Salmon With Three Herbs Sauce Ravigote
- Finely chopped parsley leaves
- ½ cup finely chopped dill springs
- ¼ Fresh and finely chopped baby cornichons
- Drained baby capers, 2 table spoon
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- A pinch of sugar
• Place salmon on the tray with baking paper and place it on a preheated oven to 80c.
• Mix shallot, cornichons, chives, parsley, capers, mustard, sugar, and 165 ml of oil in a bowl.
• Fold the baking paper to cover the salmon and bake for 1 hour.
• Sprinkle with zest and herbs
• Serve when hot
3. Pikelets Served With Smoked Salmon
- 175g of salmon with skin removed
- Crème fraîche, ¼ cup
- Bottled horseradish 2 tbsp
- Sprigs and chopped dill 1 tbspn
- 1 full cup of flour
- Baking powder
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 glass of milk
- 1 whole egg
- Pinch of salt
• Blend all the ingredients for making pikelet butter and rest it for 20 minutes
• As the pikelet rests put salmon into a bowl and mash together with dill, horseradish, and crème fraiche. Add pepper and salt
• Cook pikelets over medium heat for 2 minutes and flip over and cook for an extra minute.
• Serve pikelets and top with salmon mixture. Garnish with lemon wedge, sprigs, and mustard cress.
4. Crispy-Skinned Salmon
- 4 pieces of 200g salmon with skin
- Olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Steamed potatoes
- Fresh salad leaves
• With the skinned side facing up, drizzle with oil and sprinkle the skin with salt
• Using medium heat cook salmon with skin side facing down for 5 minutes
• Simmer on low heat until it's well cooked
• Serve while hot
5. Salmon And Potato Tray Bake
- 500g of washed potatoes
- I wedge cut lemon
- 4 skin-on fillets of salmon
- Red chillies
- Springs 6 pieces
- 250g of ripened cherry tomatoes
• Cook potatoes in a pan placed inside a preheated oven to 200c for at least 10 min.
• Using a baking paper line, a baking pan and add lemon and potatoes.
• Bake until its turns golden
• Place salmon on top of the potato mixture and sprinkle chili and thyme.
• Place tomatoes in a pattern that you like and cook for 15 minutes
• Serve preferably while hot
6. Lime Glazed Salmon And Sriracha
- 1 tbsp of sriracha
- Zested and lime juices
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 4 fillets of salmon
- 500g long grain rice
- Sesame seeds
• Mix chili sauce, sriracha, lime zest and lime juice in a bowl
• Preheat an oven and cook broccoli for two minutes or to be tender or charred
• Add salmon and cook for 3 minutes
• Pour lime juice and cook for 1 minutes for the salmon to caramelised
• Cook rice and serve with broccoli
7. Hot Smoked Salmon With Cottage Cheese Sub
- 250 of cottage cheese
- Chopped dill, 1 tablespoon
- Stone baked batard, preferably white
- 4 leaf salad of 40g each
- Skin removed and smoked salmon, 185g
- ½ juice lemon
• Mix cottage cheese with dill in a bowl and season with pepper
• Place bread on a kitchen board and top with salad, cheese, and salmon.
• Add lemon by drizzling over the mixture
• Serve by cutting into quarters
8. Smoked Salmon French Toast
- 2 egg white
- A glass of milk
- Finely grated 2 tablespoon
- Batard loaf, 500g
- Butter, 50g
- 2 cups of parsley leaves
- 1 lemon
- Baby capers
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice, 1 tablespoon
- 300 g of smoked lemon
- Half a glass of sour cream
• Whisk eggs, parmesan, and milk in a dish, and season with pepper and salt
• Slice bread into 12 slices and dip in egg mixture till it’s fully soaked.
• Place butter in a preheated pan in an oven to 150c for 3 minutes
• Repeat the cooking process for bread for all the slices
• Place dill, parsley, lemon zest, and eschalot in a bowl.
• Drizzle with lemon and oil and season with pepper and salt
• Toss to combine and serve
9. Creamy Salmon Risoni
- 50g butter
- Diced onion
- Crushed garlic cloves
- Plain flour
- Two cups of milk
- 2 cups of dried risoni
- Massel chicken liquid 2 cups
- Frozen peas, 2 cups
- Half a glass of grated parmesan
- 200g of smoked salmon
- Parsley leaf
- Salad leaves
• Cook onion and garlic on medium heat for 2 minutes.
. Add flour and cook for 30 seconds
• Whisk half a glass of milk and gradually the rest until it's combined
• Add peas, stock risoni and increase heat.
• Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
Still not convinced to eat salmon? The video below will definitely make you change that.
Salmon is versatile as shown by the numerous salmon recipes. Besides, a meal of salmon is not only healthy but really delicious. You can grill or fry salmon depending on what best suits your taste.
A diet with salmon is fit for the entire family as it provides essential nutrients such as omega-3, proteins, and vitamins. Particularly children stand to benefit from salmon as the bones are in a formative stage.
Equally the elderly find salmon highly beneficial as they get vitamin D and Omega 3 that are vital for bone development.
We would like to hear from you guys. What do you think of those salmon recipes?
What other recipes you can suggest that you personally prepared? Let us know in the comment box below. We are more than happy to hear from you.